1. The Scriptures. The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments were given by inspiration of God, and are the only sufficient, certain and authoritative rule of all saving knowledge, faith and obedience.
2. God. There is but one God, the Maker, Preserver and Ruler of all things, having in and of Himself all perfections and being infinite in all of them; and to Him all creatures owe the highest love, reverence and obedience.
3. The Trinity. God is revealed to us as Father, Son and Holy Spirit, each with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence or being.
4. Providence. God from eternity decrees or permits all things that come to pass, and perpetually upholds, directs and governs all creatures and all events; yet, so as not in any wise to be the author or approver of sin not to destroy the free will and responsibility of intelligent creatures.
5. Election. Election is God's eternal choice of some persons unto everlasting life, not because of foreseen merit in them, but of His mere mercy in Christ in consequence of which choice they are called, justified and glorified.
6. The Fall Of Man. God originally created man in His own image and free from sin; but, through the temptation of Satan, he transgressed the command of God and fell from his original holiness and righteousness; whereby his posterity inherent nature corrupt and wholly opposed to God and His law are under condemnation, and as soon as they are capable of moral action, become actual transgressors.
7. The Mediator. Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, is the divinely appointed mediator between God and man. Having taken upon Himself human nature, yet without sin, He perfectly fulfilled the law, suffered and died upon the cross for the salvation of sinners. He was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended to His Father, at whose right hand He forever liveth to make intercession for His people. He is the only Mediator, Prophet, Priest, and King of the Church and Sovereign of the universe who will come again in glory for all true believers among the living and the dead.
8. Regeneration. Regeneration is a change of heart, wrought by the Holy Spirit, who quickeneth the dead in trespasses and sins, enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the Word of God, and renewing their whole nature, so that they love and practice holiness. It is a work of God's free and special grace alone.
9. Repentance. Repentance is an evangelical grace, wherein a person being, by the Holy Spirit, made sensible of the manifold evil of sin, humbleth himself for it, with godly sorrow, detestation of it, and self-abhorrence, with a purpose and endeavor to walk with God so as to please Him in all things.
10. Faith. Saving Faith is the belief, on God's authority, of whatsoever is revealed in His Word concerning Christ; accepting and resting upon Him alone for justification, sanctification and eternal life. It is wrought in the heart by the Holy Spirit, and is accompanied by all other saving graces and leads to a life of holiness.
- Next >>